Nick, I salute you!

I pulled up to Telluride in the late afternoon and was enjoying incredible scenery with massive mountains surrounding the town and a cool vibe to this former mining town nestled in the Southern Rockies of Colorado. I plunked myself down on a bench near main street and chatted with some neighbors on the bench beside me when I looked at the time and figured I should go and make some dinner. They told me that I may not want to leave just yet. When I asked what was going to happen they told me "we're not quite sure, but we know it will be interesting." So we hung out for a while longer and could hear people hooting and hollering down outside the pub. There was a group of highly inebriated individuals making their way in bicycles up the hill in funny costumes. 

One guy, a well intentioned man named Nick, was left standing on the street and was in the process of taking his pants off when one of the bikers beside us yelled out: "Not now Nick! It's not time!" Nick paid her no heed and took off his boxers. He jumped on his bike and pedaled up the hill to meet the rest of the crew.

Near us Nick grew a little ambitious and wanted to give the two ladies in front of us a high five, a difficult maneuver on a bike when sober but with far too many beers it becomes darn near impossible. Nick crashed hard at the feet of the ladies and was dazed. But Nick is a trooper and he got back up on his bike to meet his crew. He did not even notice that he had blown the back tire and was riding on his rim. Nick I salute you!

Note: Every week of the summer there are festivals throughout in Telluride so the community decided to have a "nothing festival" to commemorate no festivals for one week. Some of the townsfolk decided to celebrate by donning nothing during nothing week. I have a sneaking suspicion this is not a Republican town. 

Down but not out

Nick gets up to ride another day

Censored for your viewing

Taking patriotism to a new height

The black sheep of the family?

Look at me!

The artwork was creative

The antics

Don't forget about me!! 

It is with sadness that I note Nick did not make the journey with the parade. I suspect his injuries sustained while attempting to build community caught up with him.

Comments

Popular Posts