Batumi, Georgia (Pictures, part 1)

This was one strange town. Located on the Eastern shore of the Black Sea it had its heyday back in the late 19th century through Russian influenced trade with Turkey. It seemed to have a new resurgence with a horizon of cranes putting up apartment buildings to the South and an eclectic mix of buildings near the center. In spite of a warm ocean to swim in and an enjoyable boulevard to stroll down, the folks I met in Batumi seemed quite unfriendly. I met a nice student from France named Arnaud and we explored the best of what the town had to offer.

Here's a photo catalogue of the time:


Breakfast



Respect the wildlife



Selling out of the back of his Lada. A true vegetable hustler 



A pop-up market in Batumi



There are those who add colour to life



This dutch vehicle could drive through canals, I'm sure of it. 



Amen



Botanical Gardens of Batumi, on the black sea.



I got a kick out of the sign for wi-fi. We all felt anxious until we knew we were only 5 minutes from updating our status (@ botanical gardens)



This is not so much a picture of Ruth, but more of the guy in the white shirt. It was the Georgian Bikini and it's in fashion here.



Arnaud the Frenchman!



Bloggin'



3 crosses and an enormous douby. It all makes me wish I could have attended this live set. 


They sell honey and exchange your money. A business model I never thought of as a beekeeper.






I wish I would have taken more video of this dancing man. He kept his head down and just danced like this for quite some time. It takes a certain level of bravery to pull this off (or liquid courage?) 

Comments

Popular Posts