Day trip to Bomi Lake

The day started with Crepes at the house and then it was time for Buddy and I to ride on the AG100s to Bomi Lake. The Lake was formed from an abandoned strip mine about an hour's drive from Monrovia. On the AG100 it takes about 1 hour 45 minutes. If only they made the AG200. No matter the number of CCs, you just can't beat the open road.















Upon arriving at the lake we knocked on the gate of the one facility at the lake - a water bottling factory. We wanted to ask them how we could get down to the palaver hut (like a gazebo). The Lebanese man (Ravi) recognized me and we were invited in to have a party with him and his friends. They were some cool guys.


Here is Hassan and Hissam puffing on the Arjeeli (the hubbly bubbly). This is very popular in Lebanon...and Bomi Lake.
















And the food was superb! Just as the meat came off the bbq I asked buddy if we should bring out our small bag of tortilla chips in the ziploc bag. He looked at me with incredulity and replied, "It's just a drop in the bucket."

We went swimming in the lake in the pouring rain. The temperature was perfect and it was a surreal moment as the rain created a thin layer of fog on the lake. We then wrestled, as only guys can, on a air mattress on the lake. Here is Ravi posing:





















While we were jostling for king of the hill one of the guys caught a fish. Ali contemplated eating it:



















Probably the best part of the day was with this guy named Abdullah. He tried to talk Buddy and I into swimming across the lake to visit the Genie. He tried to convince us adamantly that it was the best kind of genie - a white genie. He would then break into a fit of laughter. It was so surreal that Buddy and I both pulled a cramp while swimming and listening to this guy.

While on the shore he wanted me to take a photo of him. He just stood there, so I asked him if he could do something. "strike a pose Abdullah!" I asked of him. "A vhat?" I made a motion with my arms and he understood. These are two of his poses at different times throughout the day:




















He wanted a second photo. By this time he was getting the hang of the pose. I could barely take the pic I was laughing so hard. He spontaneously pointed and shouted: "GET OUTSIDE!!" then he would do it again: "GET OUTSIDE!!"










Overall it was a really great day. We made some new friends and Buddy and I promised to visit their bakery in Monrovia. I think they will have the best bagels in town...in fact I think they are the only bagels in town. To making new friends!



















A great day for a ride!

Comments

Bob said…
So, did you meet the white genie or not?
danielle said…
Hey Marcel, I laughed at so many different things catching up with your latest offerings. Great posts!
Hi Ivan,

To our great demise we never located the white genie. According to Abdullah they are the best type of genie. He was quite convinced of that...We'll keep looking.

Have you been sailing lately?

I'm getting a kayak here soon - we're hoping to do some maiden voyages.

Cheers, Marcel
Danielle, the posts will keep coming. It's nice to have readers out there!

Is it snowing in Calgary yet?

Marcel
danielle said…
No snow yet but the pregnant gray clouds overhead speak of the white madness to come. About the time to retreat into a good pair of moccasins.
Anonymous said…
Do I miss that or not???? :(
Sounds excellent. Bye
Anna
Anna - i know you miss it. This weekend was even more amazing. From jumping off cliffs to climbing radio towers to talking with the LNP. I'll post soon.

Congrats on the job! God is smiling.

Cel

Popular Posts