Omega Tower - Liberia (Top of the World Platform)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Guys, congratulations for conquering the "Omega Tower - Liberia"! It is interesting that you call it "Top of the World Platform". That reminds me of the famous "Top of the World Restaurant" that sits over 800 feet on top of the Stratosphere in Las Vegas. I visited there in April 2007 and the food was really wonderful. Of course, I went up there by elevators – not by climbing like you did.

I also want to thank you for your blog because being a Liberian who lives in Los Angeles, CA, I am excited to see your blog from my part of the world. Growing up in Monrovia, Liberia over twenty years ago, I was always fascinated by the "Omega Tower" and wondered what it really was used for. Obviously, we heard all the stories about the tower being used to spy on the USSR during the cold war. But, like most people I only saw it from afar while driving by. I have to say, it is quite interesting seeing it from your point of view on your blog.

So, my question to you is: what were you spying on up there this time and for whom (lol)?

Thanks,
Ernest Fendor
Hello Ernest! I am sitting on my veranda waiting to go upcountry - to the great hinterlands of Foya. I love Foya and the strong work ethic of a people that hail from the "breadbasket" of Liberia (more like a "rice basket"). Oh sweet Liberia...

Thanks for your comment. It was definitely a brilliant view of the greater Monrovia area. Even though we drank ceres juice at the top I wouldn't recommend any type of full scale menu.

To me the tower is a bit mysterious. I heard the Omega tower was built during WW2 for reconnaisance purposes in North Africa. I also heard it was twice as high as it currently stands. I need to research it more. It is definitely fascinating.

I am glad that you read my blog and find it of interest. Ernest you come from a beautiful land. It is especially obvious when flying a UN chopper to Voinjama and the expanse of the West African tropical forest spreads like a carpet across the landscape.

Your comment about spying is humorous since we were accused of spying when we reached the bottom, but that is a whole other story altogteher.

All the best,
Marcel
Julie Redman said…
are you guys crazy?!? I agree, Liberia is a beautiful place. I was there in August and am planning on going again. I would love to see this tower....but NOT climb it. Where exactly is this tower?
Hi Julie,

Yep, we are a little crazy, but a good kind of crazy.

The tower is on the way from Monrovia (Red Light) to Gbarnga. It is just outside of Red Light market and it is on the right side when leaving town. You can't miss it. (it's 1,450 ft high!).

Cheers,
Marcel

Popular Posts