To move beyond stereotypes

There are times in our days when we come face to face with what scares us, ourselves. We see things within ourselves that we wish to avoid. Here is a case in point from my life.

This week I was camping at the town campground at the edge of Telluride and was re-organizing my car, which needs to happen when items begin falling out when doors are opened. I noticed a gentleman a few camping spots over who was in a land rover and had the air of richness about him. When he took his dog for a walk he said hello and asked if I was from California since Ontario plates look like California plates from a distance. He was a man in his 50s, wearing a cardigan, smoking a cigarette and had his reading glasses hanging low on his nose. We chatted a few minutes and then carried on with both our tasks.

Later that day at about 7pm I had to make a quick stop at my car to get some items for making dinner and I saw that Mark was at his land rover. I sensed it would be good to go over and chat with him even though I was hungry and needing some food. If there is one rule I am doing my best to follow on this journey it is to listen to the still small voice. Yet I am also hesitant. I have an insecurity around rich people. "What will I share in common with this rich guy? Will the conversation fall flat after a few minutes?" I made a decision to push the stereotypes aside and go over. To take the risk...

Three hours later Mark and I were still chatting at the back of his land rover. The conversation flowed from one topic to the next. We were both engaged and thinking through several topics following rabbit trails and coming back down the main trail.

Mark asked me what was I doing here in Telluride. I told him I was going from Toronto to Vancouver along the scenic route. After twenty minutes I had to move my car and came back to continue the conversation. Mark smiled at me and asked: "What am I really doing on my trip?" I smiled back and told him I am on a cultural tour of the US and observing humanity as I go along. He told me he had suspected something about me. He thought I may have been an intelligence officer of some sort. I thought that was quite amusing.

The next morning as Mark packed up to leave he stopped by and he encouraged me in a way that has stuck with me. He said my journey is commendable and will provide several interesting insights. He then advised that I ask nuanced questions from a neutral position. "Observe and make judgments later once you have time to reflect from a different space. See ya later pal!"

Thanks Mark. Great wisdom that will tailor my journey.

Attempting to move beyond stereotypes,
Sporadic Nomadic




to go over and chat with  

Comments

Anonymous said…
to go over and chat with....
Hard to do, but I took your advice this week and talked with two very Quebecois individuals about very different topics. The first monsieur... we chatted about the loss of French in Canada. The second madam .... we chatted about the protests taking place over the raise in tuition. Difficult conversations with my limited French, but pushed me to a deeper understanding of les francophones and a broader understanding of Canada. It's important to hear people.

Popular Posts