A quick update on life

Hello good people!

I am sitting at the office on a Saturday and not really in the "get to work" frame of mind. So blogging is a good distraction and it is finally time to let you know what I do here in Monrovia, Liberia.

The obvious question in most people's mind is: "Marcel, what are you doing in Liberia?" Ok, maybe this question isn't in the mind of most people. That is a little presumptious, but I will answer the question anyway.

Agriculture - this is what my life is getting wrapped up in. When I first came to Liberia I was put into this position since no one else had time and because I was from Chilliwack. We were working in two communities in two different counties. We worked with local farmers on their rice farms. At first I was open to this way of farming, but over time I am becoming more and more concerned with the effects. Even though Liberians have been slashing and burning for many years, it is not sustainable nor desirable. Each year farmers in rural areas cut acre after acre of virgin rain forest in West Africa. They cut the trees, let them dry and then burn it all. Following this, they plant upland rice, build fences to keep out the rodents who love this green stuff gowing plentifully around them. (The groundhog type of animal is known as a "grasscutter"). They also chase off weaver birds, bush cows, and forest elephants (depending on where they live).

Some farmers are working in swamps, growing "lowland" rice. They build dykes, bonds, canals and set up their plots in the swamp. This model of farming is 100% better, since it prevents slash and burn, saves the farmers days and days of hard labour, and produce higher yields. They can harvest 2-3 times per year depending on the swampland infrastructure and rice variety. There are still issues that arise, but they are minor. The real issue is that swamps are not ubiquitous in Liberia. So what can be done? (Question for you - is it an ecologically sound idea to develop the majority of swamps in Liberia? Hmmmm...)

In these areas where swampland is not available, some would say that slash and burn is a fact and the only option available to Liberian farmers (Any thoughts from agriculturalists out there?). If it does, the scale on which it is carried out could be limited significantly. Currently, most Liberian farmers farm an average of 1.5 acres and they usually plant vegetables and tubers alongside their rice(cassava, hot pepper, bitter ball, egg plant). They go through the farming cycle and the following year they move locations and do it all over again because the nutrient content in the soil is depleted (at least significantly lowered). They do not return back to that site for several years. What can restore nutrient quality? Certain types of legumes can replenish soil quality (beans/peanuts are high in nitrogen). The other option are agro-chemicals (fertilizer). This is not a solution! It is costly ($50/1 litre bottle) and it has negative effects on the environment. In the upcoming months I want to look into green manure and composting as a sustainable, long term solution that will help farmers use what they have around them to increase their yields. (Does anyone have good internet or other resources that I can refer to?. Cheers!)

[Side thought: I wonder why certain diseases are increasing and why others even show up (i.e. BSE / mad cow was linked to animals eating the parts of other animal brains and fat tissue). Factory farming, be it cattle, pig or other large livestock cause severe levels of pollution to the water tables through run-off of amonia and other toxins due to the super high level concentration of livestock. Where are we headed with our consumption levels? I look at the amount of garbage I produce each week and it makes me sick.] End of side thought. :)

That was really a long diatrab of thought. Just to finish up...I also oversee the livestock program. I am working with a great Liberian trained in animal husbandry who has constructed three fish ponds at an orphanage that we are working with. He is also training farmers in rural areas in goat and sheep rearing. He is "an old pappy" as we like to say here and he is affectionately known as, "Vannie the goat" in the communities where we work. (His name is Vannie). In the past, we have had trouble with animals dying from eating plastic bags that have salt or sugar residue. That is the side of economic development that is not talked about much. What do we want Africa to become? What do Africans want Africa to become? Do they really want to be like us in the West? The way we are managing our resources will not allow all the peoples of the world to live at the same level of consumption / comfort.

So, let's get to end of this post before we all go nutty. I have been thinking things through lately about about what I am going to do in the future.

Oh boy, always a big question. I wondered while I was in Morocco, "What is God's will?" since I heard "In Shallah" several times a day from faithful Muslims in Morocco. I tried to compare/contrast how a Muslim sees Allah's will differently than a Christian. It seems to me that Muslims believe in fate more so than Christians. It's all up to Allah in Islam, but the God of the Jews and Christians grants more free will. I need to study this more. I also began to question how closely God (or Allah) interacts with humans and how specific are his desires for our lives? Does He (see note) care whether I travel to some distant country, return to Canada, or live in Monrovia? When I was hiking in Morocco I saw it clearly (for myself). God desires a relationship with each of us. He wants to know us, intimately and without reservation, and for us to enjoy his presence. As we experience the depth of humanity (intellectually, emotionally, spiritually) and see life in new ways, He wants us to know that He is there. He made us to make some unique difference in this world, regardless of its magnitude or seeming significance. The greatest acheivement of any human is love (romantic, brotherly/sisterly, parental, agape - for all humanity regardless of any barrier). Sure, this is simplistic, but I realized it as the cool breeze blew past me on the mountain ridge just off of the Gorge de Dades on the edge of the High Atlas Mountains.

[Note: I refer to God as He, but I see God as neutral. He is neither male nor female, but unfortunately, the English language doesn't give us much choice on the impersonal pronoun. "It" just doesn't cut it. Finally, I believe that God shows both male and female characteristics, even though God is neutral. Some may argue that there is no such thing as a masculine or feminine trait, but that's bogus. There you have it folks.]

I have decided that it is best to stay in Monrovia. I am part of a growing organization (Samaritan's Purse - Liberia); we have a great team of national staff & ex-pats; my boss is incredible, teaching me the necessities of management/leadership; Liberia is transitioning from a relief context to one of development and there are some communities who are keen to rebuild their lives. I want to be a part of their lives as they get back up on their feet again. It was a tough decision. I find it hard being away from friends and family. Emailing and blogging just doesn't cut it. Besides, you know how lazy I am about the email and blog. Other reason: I miss the mountains!! Oh do I ever! But the beach is good too....(see pic)

With every decision there are drawbacks and positive aspects. It is rare to face a decision that only has positive elements. We usually know what the best decision is based on our thoughts culminating with that inner feeling somewhere in the gut that tells us what is right. It comes at just the right time. We often don't navigate by the inner compass because of our busyness in life. And some of us eat too many cheese pizzas / pies to know that the compass exists.

Ok, last thoughts for the email.

I will be heading back to Canada (and other places) this summer. I hope to see you, in shallah, whether on a moutain top, in a cafe or some busy street corner. Let's make it happen.

~~Cheers to life in wide eyed wonder of God~~

I miss you guys (even if i don't write). Bisous.
Cel / Seb

PS- Next blog - more on Morocco trip. Good times!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well, for someone who hadn't updated since Christmas you posted enough times on Saturday to earn yourself another equally-long vacation from blogging!
I truly enjoy reading your thoughts; you're a gifted writer.
It occurred to me as I read your 'job description' that I've never actually had a conversation with you about what you do here. Shocking. I'd love to chat about fertilizer, sustainability, the joy of overseas work - anytime you're willing.
And for the many times I should have said it, thank you for making my time in Monrovia all the more joyful.

Suzi

Popular Posts