We see the world through our own filter

Dear Sporadicnomadic Readers (and those may be few now with the sporadic posts):

I received a comment to one of my LNP stories. I have wanted to respond and now is the time. Here is the comment:

"I read your blog through the filter of being a Black American, so the following may be unfair. When I read your blog I get the feeling that you view the Liberian people as hopelessly corrupt and ignorant and the country of Liberia as a place that can be redeemed only by the actions of White people."

My response:

Dear Blog Reader: Thank you for your honesty. I want to take this moment to set the record straight. I do not believe that the Liberian people are “hopelessly corrupt and ignorant.” I work alongside some incredibly hard working, committed and smart Liberian professionals who care deeply for their country and people. They work diligently to further the desperate situation of many farmers, mothers, sons, community leaders who are returning from neighbouring countries after a civil war that left the country in what has been termed: a failed state.

Are there Liberians who are corrupt? Yes. As I answer this question I look at my own country (Canada) and have to answer “yes” as well, sheepishly. There has been a government scandal in the tune of over $300 million that cannot be accounted for. The corruption that I have encountered here has been more on the “street level.” I do not want to give the impression that all Liberians are corrupt. I do not want to give the impression that half of Liberians are corrupt. I am ok with stating that the definition of corruption to a Liberian may be very different from my definition as a Westerner. What I may see as an unethical solicitation may just be a “part of the job” for a Liberian Police Officer. Can I come in with a moral stick and tell him that it is wrong? What gives one culture the “right” to tell another cultural group that their value system is flawed?

These are the questions I wrestle with and have not come much closer to answering. I do want to answer the last point: “Liberia [is] a place that can be redeemed only by the actions of White people." This is a powerful statement and I can understand your sentiment for stating it (with my three sequential posts on difficult encounters with the LNP). I admit that I have not done an adequate job at posting the positive stories that I observe on a weekly basis here in Monrovia and upcountry in the areas where my organization works. I will aim to include some of these in the future.

Returning to the point…The Civil War devastated the country. Charles Taylor and others (who unfortunately still hold positions of power in the current government) have stolen millions from this country while the people suffered under the attacks rebel factions and the retaliation of government forces. Child soldiers dragged their AK 47s through the streets and gang leaders raped young girls at will. The country fell into a place of anarchy. This is not my opinion; it is fact. It is a difficult experience to sit through some of the video footage of the war and not be touched by chaos that the Liberian people endured. The country is in a place of recovering from this 15 year civil war. It will take time. And yes there are Caucasian people here who are trying to help. There are also those who are here trying to get rich.

What will it take for Liberia to recover? That is too difficult a question for me to answer, but some initial thoughts would include: putting in place anti-corruption measures, building up the capacity of the government to provide basic health care, infrastructure rehabilitation and farming support to the citizens of this country.

I welcome thoughts / comments / questions.

Peace on the journey,
Marcel

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thoughtful response.
Black, white, or yellow, alot of people are doing what they can to help the Liberian people. Then again, alot of people talk about it and are doing nothing.
Dalyn,

Thank you for your comment. Relating to the original comment: I always find it interesting when people throw out accusatory statements, but provide no ideas for change or no facts to support their views.

Take care.
MK
Anonymous said…
Marcel (and Dalyn),

I appreciate your very thoughtful response to my comment. I enjoy reading your blog because I am very interested in what is going in a place that I had the opportunity to visit more than 30 years ago.

My memories of Liberia are very personal so I see things from a different perspective than you. I respect the work you do for people in Liberia.

I believe that in God's eyes there is no black, white or yellow. I also believe that unfortunately in people's eyes, there is. My comments are based on looking at your blog and wishing that you captured my interest in a place and its people. That is an unfair expectation because it is your blog about your experience.

My constructive comment. Can you present what you are doing and the Liberian peoples' involvement in it. Many of us, Dalyn, are doing something or would like to do something. What can we do that provides real support and builds institutions and people in Liberia?
Dear Blog Reader:

Thank you for your comment; I appreciate the honesty. I am interested in knowing about your experience and how it molded your perspective.

I have presented some photos of what I am involved with here in Liberia. (i.e the fish pond construction and rice harvests). I am a Program Manager for the agriculture / animal programs with an INGO. I work with amazing staff who are dedicated to improving the lives of farmers who have recently returned from neighbouring countries. They have taught me much about the Liberian culture and the resiliency of a nation.

You ask an important question: What can we do that provides real support and builds institutions and people in Liberia? What are your thoughts on this? What is real support and how is an institution defined? These are difficult questions, but interesting ones.

I appreciate your thoughts blog reader and I welcome continued dialogue.

Marcel

Popular Posts