THOUGHT PROVOKING BLOGGIN'

Dear readers of sporadicnomadic: I have had some thought provoking comments posted to the blog in the past that may be of interest to you. Below is a comment from a reader named Ben. I would like to take this time to invite comments and responses from you. Feel free to be open and honest in your suggestions / thoughts. Next week I will post my response to Ben’s comment (and hopefully your posted comments too.)

Ben’s Comment:

“I have been following your blog for a very long time. Though I may not agreed with everything you write, I find your blog interesting. However, I feel obliged to respond to your most recent blogs regarding your encounter with the Liberia National Police traffic officers. In your first encounter with the Police you stated that the police requested a fee from you so that he may be able to prosecute Peter in a court of law. I believe the proper thing to have done under the circumstances was to complain to a higher authority. This would have put you in a better position to test the integrity of the LNP. Instead you indicted the entire LNP on the conduct of a single officer. There are corrupt police officers throughout the world even in the USA where I reside but I don't indict the entire NYPD based on the performance of one or two officers. In my opinion, during the second encounter with the police your judgement was based on prejudice and stereotype. The police may not have modern equipment to investigate accident but that does not imply that the blackboard method is inefffective this traditional method ofinvestigation was used by Police Officers in the world prior to the introduction of modern technology. If you were not satisfied with the procedure, you should have sought redress through the traffic court. I belive like any institution in the world the LNP is no exception to corrupt practices but there are also trained and highly professional officers in the LNP. There are good cops and bad cops. The best way to get rid of the buy guys is to allow them to face their accuser in a court of competent juridiction.In the western or developed world, police corruption is done "professionally". Let me share with you an encounter that I witnessed. My brother was charged with traffic violation in the USA. Knowing very well he was not guilty as charged, he told the Police officer"see you in court". Guess What!!! The citation was sent to an incorrect address. After investigation, it was discovered that the action by the police was deliberate. My brother did not indict the entire police force based on the action of a single officer. He tested the crminal justice system and he prevail. In the future, I would suggest you use this approach. Finally, please give your license to a police officer anytime it is requested. That's the law. The next time it might not be a traffic police officer who is grossly disrespected by the driving public. I am not suggesting that you disrespected the officer. Marcel, have a nice stay in Liberia. Ben.”

Comments

Unknown said…
Hey Sebastian....Ben has never been to Liberia, huh? haha.
Anonymous said…
Once, when I was smuggling a bunch of cats into the Philipines in various cavities of my body, I got lots of cuts.

1200 stiches later, I learned three things.

1) My physical limitations
2) Philipinos don't like cats as much I thought they did
3) ALL cats panick and scratch.

This lesson can apply to many aspects of life... including dealing with the police in Liberia.

We all have panicking cats in our anuses..for some people needing to feed your Liberian children is a trapped tabby, Having to avoid persecution by corrupt cops and perhaps deportation is a suffocating siamese... and in my case actually having a feline in the fanny can leave me and the cat is a state of regret and frenzy.

I am glad I could help solve any debate.
Gareth Evans said…
I love the Cat anal(!)ogy!

Marcel, the fish farming looks amazing. Access to market programmes are awesome. Combined with microfinance (!!!) you could be on to a winner!!! Go and contact LEAP for financing!!!

Enjoying the blog dude, but get your hair cut ;-)
Leigh-anna: I am not sure, I would hope so. This is a question I leave for Ben to answer. Seb
Mr. Zagbeyev,

Your analogy is most telling. I trust it is simply an illustration and not a lived experience.

Cats when being smuggled (i.e. confined to living in unpleasant environments) are forced to make reactionary decisions. Perhaps it is best to treat the "trapped tabbby" and the "suffocating Siamese" with a delicate touch.

Much has been understood through your Kazakh proverb.

Yakshamesh~
Marcel
Gareth: After the anal-ogy presented by Mr. Zagbeyev I am staying clear of cats.

Micro-finance? Brilliant idea. Even if we don't do a MF project I believe I am still a winner. That's what I learned from the "Winner's Chapel" on tubman blvd.

Where are you at these days?

Cheerio,
Marcel

PS - Haircuts are overrated.
Anonymous said…
as a liberian living out of the country i completely shared your view about the police. it is not only corruption, it is endemic corruption. the system has been rotten for a long time. it will take time to heal.
racial profiling, as is police brutality' especially against minority is evident here in these parts, but the shamelessness and unprofessional posture with which the lnp acted when i was there is a travesty. and it is true the liberian police normally don't give back your driving "particulars' once they are handed over. i however shared ben's assertion, that compliants must be filed when these transgresion are committed.

goodday!
Dear Anonymous reader: Thank you for your comments. For those living outside the country it can seem that some of my stories are exaggerated, but as many of my friends have seen - the police can wield their authority in inappropriate ways.

The issue of raising complaint can be a sticky one. Who has the time to follow-up on these issues? And what happens if you bring your complaint to a higher authority and they demand more than the cop on the traffic beat?

Thank you for your thoughts. I still need to post a full reply to Ben's comment.

Marcel
Anonymous said…
Let those who have problem(s), with your comment(s) have their problem(s).

Liberians sometimes are over sensitive when foreighners make cooment about their country. This I think is stiffling ideas germane to the overall development of the country. So I hope you don't mind and continue do what you are doing.

By laying a complaint, you can right a simple letter to the newspaper or to the govt ministry or parastal concern and leave it at such, and see what happens. When authorities start seeing that people are really concern about the services they are getting it will behoove them to provide the discipline needed.

My best wishes!
Perhaps today I need to write a response that has been promised...MK

Popular Posts