Faisal Mosque


The sun was setting. I bowed to pray. To my left a Muslim eyed me with
wonder at seeing this foreigner getting everything wrong in position and form.
I sensed my spirit connecting beyond our material world as I sought answers or maybe some assurance that I was asking the right questions. After several minutes and prostrations later, I left my prayer carpet. I walked around in wonderment at the large minaret towering above us, dwarfing the faithful in a sense of seeming insignificance. I continued around the bend and was met with the dazzling spectacle in the West. The sun was crashing into the horizon with clouds awash in a sea of flames. It was then that I understood. The Divine exists, yes true, but more than that, He finds pleasure each late afternoon in seeing the wonder in the eyes of us, his children.

I listened to a song entitled, "Emerald minarets in a sea of stars" as the clouds chased the colour from the sky. The muezzin came on the PA system with a crackle and a laboured breath before he sang out that Allah is great. I could not help but agree as I walked down the stairs, away from the masjid and the prayers of the faithful, those with enough audacity left to believe that God still does answer their prayers.


Comments

Popular Posts