Pakistani Taxi Driver

I got into the cab with my oversized backpack and smaller daybag. "Ap kaisa hai?" I asked the cabbie. He looked over to me as we sped down the road in his pint sized suzuki, "First Class boss!" I was impressed. I felt more like I was in the back of economy class with my legs indenting the dashboard. We chatted a little and he asked in Urdu/English: "Canada or Pakistan - what is better?" I smiled and said, "America!" He laughed and gave me the South Asia head nod: "Ji (yes), Osama!" It was my turn to laugh, "I think you mean Obama." His eyes got wide, "O-bomb-ah! Bomb!" We both chuckled a nervous laughter for we both were aware that with the surge of new troops to Afghanistan the conditions in Pakistan will worsen before they brighten. The fear is palpable.

Comments

Popular Posts