Some poems from the highlands

Here are a few poems I penned while up near Hope Lake in Colorado. Perhaps it was the thin air or the wildly colourful wildflowers that spurred this moment of connection and observation. Nonetheless a few poems for your day.


 I took a walk

I took a walk in the meadows one day and noticed the mountain flowers making love to the summer’s breeze.
 I did not dare interrupt.
What can one do in such moments?

In distance places

In distant places nearly forgotten
I hear the drums beating.


O fool, wipe that smile off your face,
These are not the threatening sounds of war drums.



Listen again
Listen carefully
Listen to what is coming. 


These are the syncopated rhythms of peace
Full and melodious
The sounds that spur even the most reserved to dancing.


We must prepare ourselves 

For the drummers are soon approaching
Are you ready to dance?

Raa-pa-ta-ta-tum-tum. 






A letter to my friend, the Pica.

Dear Pika, 


Thank you for coming to visit with me just now. I’ve been waiting for this moment all day.  I’m glad you came. I know you didn’t have a lot of time to chat. In fact, it was only a quick “hello there my man” and “nice socks!” That was about it, but you put a smile on my face.


I’ll leave this note for you. I’m hoping that next time we can go exploring together. You can show me your favourite spots on this mountainside and also the flowers that make the best salad.
 

Until next time my friend,
Marcel    

Comments

Anonymous said…
These poems make my heart happy. I just read through the posts of your trip. California and Arizona seem like as good a route as any to get from Toronto to Vancouver. If you come up through northern Cali and Oregon I highly suggest going out of your way for the following: Hawthorn Hostel in Portland, Rogue Brewery in Newport (why not stop in for a Dead Guy Ale?), Bend for great hiking and as much time as you can possibly spend in the Redwood forests. I look forward to reading more. Take care and safe travels.

Popular Posts